Bhubaneswar: The Class 10 and 12 students availing hostel facilities in the State will be allowed to stay in the hostels only after producing a consent letter from their parents, according to an SOP issued by the Odisha government for the reopening of the hostels today.
Students who could not attend online classes will get priority in availing the hostel facilities. Besides, students who do not have suspected Covid symptoms will be allowed to stay in hostels.
The school authorities have been directed to take steps for health screening of students before allowing them into hostels. Staff of the hostels will also undergo health screening, the SOP added.
Here are the detailed guidelines for the reopening of hostels in Odisha:
- Students from 10th and 12th to be allowed to avail hostel facility only after obtaining written consent from parents/guardians.
- Initial preference for calling students to join back hostels may be given to students who do not have any support at home and also no facility for on-line education.
- Hostel management and all staff members including mess staff to be properly sensitized on physical distancing norms, health and hygiene, clean and nutritious food, information about nearest health facility in case of any health emergency etc.
- Screening of every boarder needs to be done before they start staying at the hostel. Only asymptomatic boarders should be allowed to join. Similarly, all staff members and others having access to hostel to be screened.
- Hostel should be out of bound for all persons except essential staff with known health status.
- Note that students should not be involved in any of the cleaning activities for health and safety reasons.
- Simple health screening of students and staff may be carried out daily, and updates be maintained.
- A weekly general health checkup of all students and staff to be done with the help Health and Family Welfare Deptt.
- Hostel to ensure hot and nutritious food is served to students. Students should not order food from outside.
Protocol to be followed in case of detection of a suspected case of COVID-19
- Place the ill student or staff in a room or area where they are isolated from others.
- Provide a mask/face cover till such time as he/she is examined by a doctor.
- A risk assessment will be undertaken by the designated public health authority (district Rapid Response Team/treating physician) and accordingly further action be initiated regarding management of case, his/her contacts and need for disinfection.
- Disinfection of the premises to be taken up is the person is found positive.
- For a suspect or a case detected in hostel, the student/staff shall not be sent back to his/her home as it may lead to spread of the disease. He/She should be isolated and State/district health officials shall be informed to suitable follow-up.
- All protocols as advised by the Department of Health and Family Welfare should be followed.
- Hostel management must be in touch with nearest medical facility.
The hostels for Class 10 and 12 students will reopen from January 8, 2021 across Odisha.